Hello again and welcome to another edition of The Bridge. As I write this, our high school students are eagerly counting down the minutes to tonight's Valentine's Dance. Thank You to our parent and staff volunteers who helped to set up, decorate and chaperone the event. So far this school year the dances have been big hits and I expect another fun-filled night this evening. Our staff chaperones will have cameras at the ready and we hope to have photos posted online next week. Speaking of photos, we have our first batch of pictures from last month's Washington, D.C. trip posted in our online Photo Galleries. As I noted last week, there are literally thousands of pictures to sort through, so check back next week as more will be posted in the days ahead.
While there was big news in Washington this week about the postal service stopping Saturday delivery, we're still using good ol' fashioned snail mail to get some important documents to you, so be sure to keep checking your mailbox. This week, invitations were sent for next month's Stanbridge Steps Out dinner dance. Pam has more about this event on her SPA Spot page, so be sure to click over and read all about it. I will add that this has become an annual tradition and offers parents and guardians the chance to enjoy a purely social evening with our staff and board members, as well as current and alumni Stanbridge parents. The RSVP date is right around the corner (February 20), so please respond promptly. Also, the second quarter report cards are completed and will be in the mail next week. There are no set conference days this quarter, so if you wish to talk to a teacher about your student's grade, performance, or workload, please contact the teacher directly via email. You can find a directory of teacher emails in our website's Teachers section.
In addition to Valentine's Day next week, we have a few other events of note highlighting the calendar:
• On Wednesday, February 13 there will be a SPA meeting at 8:30 a.m. in Hayden Hall. As always, all current Stanbridge parents and guardians are welcome (and encouraged) to attend.
• On Thursday, February 14, SPA volunteers will be visiting campus to host their annual "Soup From the Heart" lunch. This is an event where parents bring various homemade soups and salads and serve lunch to our staff. The food is always delicious and all of the teachers I've talked to are looking forward to it this year, so a preemptive Thank You to those of you involved. Also on Thursday, we will be holding a special Valentine's Day-themed assembly for all students in the afternoon. The assembly will feature fun and games and students will play along together in their "constellation groups," allowing them to socialize and intermingle with fellow students and teachers from different divisions. The students had a blast when we did this for Turkey Bingo in November, so we expect another exciting afternoon next week as well.
• Finally, don't forget that Friday, February 15 is our last day of school before Winter Break. Students have the week of February 18-22 off and school will resume on Monday, February 25. Parents of high school freshmen and sophomores, please note that the Monday when we return is the start of your student's Spring Experiential trip. For scheduling purposes, the trip was moved to the end of February, but the experience will still be a rewarding one: The students will be going to a three-day "leadership summit" at Hidden Villa Ranch in Los Altos. There, the group will learn valuable social life skills, as well as see how a real working ranch operates, with an emphasis on sustainable energy and organic farming. Full details of the trip, along with the necessary permission forms and packing list are posted on the Forms page. Please make sure that if your student is going on the trip, their forms are returned to the main office by Wednesday, February 13th.
Last, but not least, as our headline above teased, the deliveries this week concern more than just the mail. Jay may be back from his paternity leave, but the Stanbridge wing at the delivery room remains busy: Early Friday morning, February 8, our Speech & Language Pathologist Kari Schaiman gave birth to her newborn son Jacob Paul. We are happy to report that mom, dad and Jacob are doing great and we wish them all the best over these next few weeks of new parenthood. Kari is scheduled to return in a few weeks, and in the interim Tina Ester will be handling her speech and language duties here on campus. Better have your friends book their school tours now; the Stanbridge Class of 2031 is filling up fast!
Have a great weekend.
Parents/Guardians can log-in with their Parent Portal password to access the following:
• Click here to go to The Weekly Bridge mainpage
• Click here to go to the SPA Spot mainpage