Hello again and welcome to another edition of The Bridge. After a week back from Winter Break, some notable items old and new:
• This past week, our ninth and tenth graders returned to school on Monday after Winter Break and promptly departed for a three-day experiential trip. The group enjoyed an eventful stay at Hidden Villa Ranch in Los Altos Hills, where they worked with the ranch staff to develop team-building and leadership skills. Lest that sound rather dull, the activities involved included a navigating a ropes course, going on nature hikes, caring for farm animals, playing games, expressing themselves through artwork and more. The weather cooperated and the students (and staff) I spoke with raved about the experience. Pictures from the trip will be posted in the Media Room next week.
• On Wednesday afternoon, our Bulldogs Hockey team played an afterschool game against Charles Armstrong School. It was an exciting, close game and our students played tremendously. Tied 3-3 late in the game, it appeared overtime was imminent until the CAS squad scored the go-ahead goal with just seconds remaining to win 4-3. Nonetheless, the Bulldogs played with heart and determination and should be proud of their effort.
• Coming up on the calendar, the March SPA meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 13 at 8:30 a.m. In addition to the standard meeting and discussions, there will be an additional presentation on executive functioning skills, featuring guest speaker Jan Johnston-Tyler from EvoLibri. Developing stronger executive functioning skills is often cited as a goal for many of our students here at Stanbridge, so I highly encourage you to attend this upcoming presentation.
• On Thursday, March 14, we will be hosting our Spring Open House from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. This will be our final Open House event of the school year, so spread the word amongst those you know who may be looking for student placement next year. This event is designed primarily for new and potential families considering Stanbridge for their students, but I welcome current eighth grade families to attend this Open House as well. The event will provide you with a unique way to see our high school teachers and students in action and give you a forum to ask any questions you might have about the Stanbridge high school program. The calendar may say March, but it's not too early to start thinking about next year.
• Before we officially tear-off the February page from the calendar, a couple of final notes that got lost amidst Winter Break: First, a big Thank You to all of our students who made homemade Valentines for the residents of Brookside Nursing Home. Prior to the start of Winter Break, our counselor James Warren and members of the student STAR Team personally delivered dozens of Stanbridge Valentines to the residents of the facility. The cards and sentiments were (pardon the pun) heartfelt, and the in-person delivery truly lifted the spirits of those who received them. Kudos, James, for organizing another service event that the whole school could participate in. Photos from this event can be seen on the Weekly Bridge mainpage (Parent Portal password required).
Finally, our staff is certainly keeping the Stanbridge Stork busy. Congratulations to Matt Keith and his wife, Tara, who welcomed a newborn girl into their family over Winter Break. Addyson Sophie Keith arrived on the afternoon of February 20 and word is that mom, dad and baby Addy are all doing well. Best wishes to the new arrival and the proud parents. If you are keeping score, that's the third Stanbridge newborn this year. Future parents, start thinking about early enrollment now--the Class of 2031 is filling up quickly.
Hope to see all of you Saturday night. Have a great weekend!
Note: This is an abridged version of The Weekly Bridge (The Weekly Abridged?) Additional news stories can be found in the complete version on The Weekly Bridge mainpage (Parent Portal password required).
Parents/Guardians can log-in with their Parent Portal password to access the following:
• Click here to go to The Weekly Bridge mainpage
• Click here to go to the SPA Spot mainpage