Hello again and welcome to another edition of The Bridge. As I write this, we are just a few short hours away from the start of our Spring Break and excitement is at a fever pitch for the Students vs. Staff basketball game. [Update: The student Bulldogs team defeated the Staff team in a thriller, 35-33. A full recap and pictures will be featured online after we return from Spring Break. --Ed.] With much to cover from this past week and looking ahead to what's coming up, here is our deluxe, Spring Break Edition of The Bridge:
• To start things off, a hearty Thank You
and Congratulations to all students who participated in our Spring Showcase presentations. These events were new additions to our school calendar and the response was overwhelmingly positive. I'm happy so many parents, guardians and other guests were able to attend the presentations for all divisions. The students enjoyed sharing their knowledge with an audience, and many of you who attended told me how much you enjoyed the format and performances. Additional thanks to the staff members who helped organize the presentations (and who get to see these students in action every day). We hope to continue to offer opportunities like the Spring Showcase more often in the future, and--in fact--will have another showcase of Stanbridge student presentations coming up in May (details on that below).
• The calendar says it is officially Spring and so does our experiential trip schedule. Earlier this week, the Middle and Upper Elementary classes spent three days at Coloma Outdoor Discovery School learning about local wildlife and the California Gold Rush. Look for photos in our online gallery sometime after we return from break. Also when we return, the Lower Elementary students will be heading-out on their spring experiential trip; an overnight visit to Elkus Ranch, April 10-11. All of the necessary forms have already been completed, but if you have any questions about the trip, you can email your student's teacher.
• The week we return from Spring Break is indeed a busy one. The Stanbridge Parent Association will be holding their monthly meeting that Wednesday, April 10 at 8:30 a.m. in Hayden Hall. Amongst other topics, plans for the High School Prom will be discussed. The Prom is scheduled for Friday, April 26 here on campus and tickets will be available for purchase from the main office the week of April 8. Prom is a more formal dance than the other dances throughout the year, and the $35 ticket includes a full, catered dinner that will be served to the students by staff chaperones. Pam will have more details at the April meeting and in upcoming SPA Spot updates. For now, be sure to click over to this week's SPA Spot page for all the latest and to volunteer to help with the set-up and clean-up of this year's Prom.
• Today not only marks the start of Spring Break, but the end of the Third Quarter. Teachers will be completing report card grades over the break and we will be mailing report cards home shortly after we return from break the week of April 8. While there's no need to watch the mailbox next week for report cards, please keep an eye out for some other Stanbridge mail. With the exception of high school seniors, all families should be receiving a re-registration packet soon. If you are planning to enroll your child at Stanbridge for the 2013-2014 school year, please read through the packet and return all of the necessary forms to the main office by April 15. Additionally, all families should be receiving an invitation to our "Grandparents & Special Person Day." This event will be held on Thursday, May 2, and provides a chance for these special guests to spend some time with their Stanbridge student at school. Visitors will get a tour of campus, meet the teachers, enjoy lunch with the students and--as mentioned earlier--will be treated to an assortment of student presentations from all grade divisions. The event is free, but we need an accurate head count, so please return your RSVP by April 22. (Also, just an early notice that we'll be hosting our annual Student Talent Show the following evening, Friday, May 3, and all visiting grandparents/guests are invited to attend that event as well).
• In closing, a few brief notes:
- A reminder that the final session of afterschool clubs starts the week of April 8 and runs through the end of May. If your student is interested in joining (or re-enrolling) in a club, please return a copy of the sign-up form along with your payment to the main office as soon as possible. A copy of the Spring Clubs enrollment form is available on our Forms page.
- The Parents Education Network (PEN) is holding their annual Education Revolution (EdRev) at AT&T Park on Saturday, April 13. We will have a group of teachers there to represent Stanbridge, but the event is open to parents, guardians and students alike. You can read more about the workshops, speakers and exhibits at this year's event--as well as register online--on the official EdRev website.
- Finally, after being out one day last week and returning to find a video of James singing "The Bake Sale Song" on the website, I shudder to think what is being posted in our Media Room nowadays. Alas, the newest entry is a brief clip of the junior high students celebrating the end of a Civil War project they have been working on this quarter (photo on The Bridge mainpage; video in the video gallery). It is great to see the students get so excited and have fun while learning, and I look forward to future video clips being posted along the same lines. It is worth noting, however, that since James' video went online, our main office has been fielding a lot of phone calls from MTV, Def Jam records, and "Justin Timberlake's people." Obviously we've been telling them that we'll be on break next week and they can always go online and schedule a tour for when we get back.
Until then, have a safe and happy Spring Break. See everyone back at school on Monday, April 8th!
Parents/Guardians can log-in with their Parent Portal password to access the following:
• Click here to go to The Weekly Bridge mainpage
• Click here to go to the SPA Spot mainpage