Hello and welcome to another edition of The Bridge. End of the year preparations are in full swing and our high school seniors get an early jump on the action this weekend. A look back and a look ahead below:
• This past week saw some of our student groups enjoying late-year experientials. The lower elementary students enjoyed a day at the Children's Discovery Museum on Thursday, while the junior high eighth graders spent Friday at the Chabot Space and Science Center. Also on Friday, high school students reading The Great Gatsby in Literature class got to screen the new movie version in 3D. The fun continues this coming week as John Montgomery's 10th and 11th grade history classes take a tour of the USS Hornet on Friday, May 24 and the following week, the junior high students will spend Tuesday, May 28 in Chinatown while our seniors hit the town for one final overnight experiential, spending Wednesday through Friday in San Francisco. Details and permission forms for these upcoming trips can be found on the Forms page.
• Our seniors get a jump on the graduation event circuit this Saturday, May 18. The students will be treated to the annual senior lunch with their parents/guardians and teachers at Ristorante Rocca in Burlingame. The event is special affair for all, as it is an opportunity to assemble as a senior class and recall the many memories shared over the years at Stanbridge. The luncheon starts at noon and the restaurant is located at 1205 Broadway in Burlingame, just up the road from the Caltrain depot. (Note: Our graduating eighth graders and their families and teachers will also be celebrating a special pre-graduation dinner on Friday, May 31. You can read more about that by clicking here).
• With graduation just weeks away, all students will be getting into the spirit of wrapping-up another school year. Our annual Spirit Week is next week and that means that each day there will be a different "theme" for students (and staff!) to participate in. Things start off with a snooze (figuratively speaking) on Monday with Pajamas Day--when students can wear their PJs to school--and the rest of the week is equally fun. Here is the official list of this year's theme days, as selected by the Student Government:
- Monday, May 20: Pajamas Day - Students can wear their pajamas/sleepwear to school
- Tuesday, May 21: Sports Day - Students can wear clothes featuring their favorite teams and players
- Wednesday, May 22: Superhero Day - Students can dress as their favorite comic book character
- Thursday, May 23: Beach Day - Students can wear hawaiian shirts, shorts and other beach attire
- Friday, May 24: Crazy Hair Day - Students can go to town with the styling gel and curlers
Participation is not mandatory, but most students get into the spirit of things (pardon the pun) and have a good time.
...And the good times roll right into a three-day weekend, as Monday, May 27 is a day off for Memorial Day. School resumes on Tuesday and then we're into full countdown mode. Until then, a few closing notes before signing-off:
• A reminder that Student Government elections are coming. With this academic year coming to a close, it is time to start thinking about the year ahead and we are looking for a few good Stanbridge Stars to step into leadership positions for next year. The student government positions of President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer are open to current ninth, tenth and eleventh grade students. Candidates are required to make a speech before the student body on the morning of May 29th, and voting will take place immediately afterwards. This is an exciting, fun way for students to get involved with planning events, organizing projects, and assuming leadership positions. Required sign-up forms were due on Friday, but if your student missed the deadline and would still like to run for office, please talk to (or email) Jay Huston.
• Regarding deadlines, the initial enrollment for Summer School classes was also on Friday. With few exceptions, all courses being offered met the minimum enrollment and will remain on this year's Summer School schedule. Chris will be sending emails to parents who have enrolled their students next week and Anne will be depositing the tuition checks. If your student's class was cancelled due to low enrollment, Chris will contact you to offer alternate course options or a refund of your tuition. More details in the sidebar on the mainpage, along with a link to the Summer School page. Of note, enrollment will remain open for all classes on the schedule until they hit max capacity, so there's still opportunity to sign-up your student!
Finally, please be sure to click over to The Bridge mainpage read the bonus blurb at the bottom. One of our seniors has been helping to promote the Boxtops for Education program here at Stanbridge all year and wrote a special update for this week's Bridge. Thanks to all of the families who have been participating in this program and contributing your boxtop tabs throughout the year--you've made a difference!
Parents/Guardians can log-in with their Parent Portal password to access the following:
• Click here to go to The Weekly Bridge mainpage
• Click here to go to the SPA Spot mainpage