Hello and welcome to another edition of The Bridge. Lots to report this week, so I will get right to it:
First up, it was Election Day on Tuesday across America and here at Stanbridge our eighth graders and high school students exercised their right to vote in our mock election. Based on the returns (certified by poll workers/history teachers Maureen Zane and John Montgomery) President Barack Obama certainly captured the youth vote, winning a victory over Mitt Romney by a final count of 54-3, a far more comfortable margin than Tuesday's actual results. Regardless of political prefrence, however, thanks to Maureen and John for planning this event and creating a sense of excitement and importance in our students about exercising their democratic right to vote.
Continuing on the patriotic theme, please note that Veterans Day is this Monday and there will be no school. In honor of our nation's military servicemen and servicewomen (and Chris and John--our own Stanbridge vets), counselor James Warren organized a special card-making campaign. Today, students in all divisions crafted homemade cards for veterans and James will deliver the cards to the VA Hospital this weekend. The cards were very heartfelt and creative and I'm pleased that our students were once again able to be involved in such a worthwhile experience.
We will be giving students yet another opportunity to give back to the community next week. As Thanksgiving nears, the student government is helping to sponsor a holiday canned food drive. We are asking families to bring non-perishable food items to school next week and drop them off in the collection bin located in the foyer. All donations received by November 20 (the last day of school before Thanksgiving break) will be taken to a local homeless shelter for distribution. Stanbridge sponsors a number of community service opportunities throughout the year, but for various reasons they tend to be limited to the junior high and high school students. This is a project that all students can get involved in and, in the spirit of the season, I hope everyone participates.
Shifting gears for a moment, I would like to take this opportunity to address an issue that some of our staff members have brought to my attention. It seems that there are some students who have been consuming excessively large containers of soda pop and snack foods during school hours. While I have no problem with students having a can of Coke or small bag of chips with lunch, there are some students who have been drinking two-liter bottles of soda, multiple cans of RockStar (or other "energy" drinks) and eating full-sized bags of chips, Cheetos and other nutritionally-dubious snacks. In order to promote a positive message to our entire student population, I ask that you please monitor what your student is bringing to school in his/her lunch and exercise moderation and common sense when it comes to sugary drinks and salty snacks. Thank you.
Finally, a few closing notes:
• There will be a SPA meeting on Wednesday at 8:30 in Hayden Hall. This meeting will feature a panel of representatives from local colleges who will speak about the various programs at their schools and field questions you might have. Pam has more details in her SPA Spot, and I highly encourage you to attend.
• We have finished organizing our Family Directory and have posted the document online. You can find the listings in the Parent Portal section of the website on the Handbook and Directory page. Please check your listing over the weekend and email us if there are any changes or corrections.
• Last but not least, we have a winner! Today we selected the winning entry from our Annual Fund Pledge Week raffle. The winning student wins a party for his/her entire homeroom after the Thanksgiving break. The winner and more details on the Annual Fund Campaign can be found on The Bridge mainpage.
That's all for this week. A heartfelt Thank You to all who are serving and who have served in our military! Enjoy the long weekend and see you on Tuesday.
Parents/Guardians can log-in with their Parent Portal password to access the following:
• Click here to go to The Weekly Bridge mainpage
• Click here to go to the SPA Spot mainpage