Hello again. I hope everyone enjoyed a restful and relaxing Thanksgiving break with friends and family. As the weekend comes to a close, a few brief notes before everyone heads back to school on Monday:
• The annual Scholastic Book Fair begins this Tuesday, December 3 and runs through next Tuesday, December 10. Kiosks and displays will be up in Hayden Hall so students, parents and guardians can browse the selection of books available, as well as an assortment of posters, school supplies, and other select toys and gifts. SPA volunteers will be on-hand before and after school, as well as during midday lunch periods, to complete purchases. All students were given details on the book fair last week before going on break. The take-home packet included a special voucher "Passport" which allows you to give your student a set amount of book fair credit that he/she can spend at the event. Book Fair coordinator Laura Claude has additional details posted in the SPA Spot, including links to the Stanbridge Book Fair webpage, online volunteer sign-ups and more. With the holiday shopping season in full swing, this is a great opportunity to purchase gifts for friends, family or yourself. Stop by to check it out!
• Speaking of holiday shopping, the Family Giving Tree is now on display in the Hayden Hall foyer and we will be collecting donations through mid-December for less fortunate children and families. Gift tags are displayed on the tree and feature the name and age of a child in need, as well as that child's specific gift request. Stanbridge families who wish to participate can take a tag from the tree, and then return the tag with their unwrapped donation to Hayden Hall by December 10. Donated items will be delivered to the FGT warehouse by the Stanbridge Junior High students during their December Day of Service, and later distributed to the specific recipients by the FGT organization in time for the holidays. We are also looking for volunteers to assist at the warehouse on Saturday afternoon, December 14. More information on the Family Giving Tree, as well as all of this year's community service events, can be found on the Community Service page and in this week's SPA Spot.
• In other community service news, a big Thank You to all of our students and families who contributed to the Stanbridge STAR Teams' Thanksgiving Food Drive. James packed and delivered the contributions to St. Anthony's Dining Room in San Francisco in time for the Thanksgiving holiday and your generosity made a huge difference to those in need. On behalf of the student STAR Teams who sponsored and promoted this event, thank you for making a difference!
• A reminder to our Bulldogs Basketball players that practices resume afterschool this week. Be sure to stay up-to-date on practice times and upcoming games on our Bulldogs Athletics page.
• Finally, as you may have heard, this year's start to Thanksgiving Break was extra special for students. Not only did everyone get together to play Turkey Bingo last Tuesday afternoon, they were also treated to an impromptu concert from Stanbridge's very own James Warren, who performed his personalized version of "What Does the Fox Say." James performed this original piece at the "Cheers to 30 Years!" Gala, and it helped to raise thousands of dollars for the Stanbridge Fund-A-Need shuttle van campaign. If you weren't there to see it, however, be sure to log in to the Media Room to view the equally-energetic encore from last week.
It's only a matter of time before James signs that deal with Jay-Z and Justin Bieber. Until then, enjoy the remainder of the weekend and see you back at school on Monday.