Hello again and welcome to another edition of The Bridge. To your left, you'll see a photo of the Capitol building at dawn, taken by one of our own Stanbridge chaperones during last week's trip to Washington, D.C. The picture was snapped the morning of President Obama's public inauguration ceremony, which was the centerpiece event of the group's trip. In addition to the swearing-in ceremony, however, the group also toured the Newseum, the war memorials, the Library of Congress, Ford's Theatre, the Lincoln and MLK monuments and attended two post-inauguration balls. After a whirlwind week in D.C., the students and chaperones returned safely on Wednesday night and judging by the accounts I've heard so far, the trip was an un-president-ed success. (Note: Chris overrode my veto and made that joke). Once our chaperones get back to their normal schedules next week, we'll be sure to get some of their pictures to share with you on the website. In the meantime, here are a few other things to look forward to next week:
• On Monday, January 28, afterschool clubs will begin. Clubs run from 3:10 to 4:30 p.m. and a shuttle from school to the San Mateo Caltrain depot is available. If your student is participating in an afterschool activity, please ensure you arrange for prompt pick-up at 4:30. The deadline for enrolling in afterschool clubs was Thursday, but if your student did not get his/her form turned-in on time, please contact Maggie or Susan in the main office ASAP and they can discuss late-enrollment options with you. For a listing of clubs being offered this quarter, dates, fees and more, download a copy of the enrollment form from our Forms page.
• Two events of note on Wednesday, January 30. Students in our high school government classes will be playing roles in a mock trial when they travel to the Superior Court of Santa Clara to present the case in an actual courthouse before a real federal judge. This is the second year students will have this unique opportunity. Permission forms are on the Forms page and are due by Tuesday. You can also view video highlights of last year's mock trial in our Video Gallery. Also on Wednesday, we will have a group of Chinese acrobats performing here at Stanbridge at 10:30 a.m. during an all-school assembly in honor of Chinese New Year. The presentation will be held in the Multipurpose Room and parents are welcome to attend.
• On Friday, February 1, we will have another 49ers Day as we cheer our home team on to a Super Bowl victory. Students are once again invited to don their red and gold Niners gear (or Ravens gear, I suppose) and lunch will be provided. More details on the lunch coming next week.
Finally, a couple of administrative notes:
• From the main office: Please ensure that students who arrive late to school check-in with the main office staff upon their arrival to ensure that they are marked as present for the day. Also, note that a student's absence will be logged as unexcused if we do not receive a telephone confirmation from their parent/guardian that day.
• From the Annual Fund Committee: Thank you to all of the families who have pledged or donated to the Annual Fund Campaign. The good news is that we are closing-in on 100% family participation this year! Volunteers will be contacting families who have not yet pledged or donated this week as we try to reach our 100% participation goal by Winter Break. To make your pledge online, visit our Support Us page.
Finally, from the Time Flies Department: A reminder that this Friday marked the end of the second quarter, and with that, we have officially reached the halfway point of the school year. Halfway point already; can you believe it?! Here's to a restful weekend before the third quarter starts on Monday!
Parents/Guardians can log-in with their Parent Portal password to access the following:
• Click here to go to The Weekly Bridge mainpage
• Click here to go to the SPA Spot mainpage