Hello again and welcome to another edition of the Weekly Bridge. After a wet week that saw our first-ever school cancellation due to rain, we are down to the final four school days of 2014. As many of you know, however, this is one of the busiest times of the school year, so as you make your lists, be sure to check them twice after reading this week's news and notes:
First up, a quick reminder that Monday, December 15 will be the final day of our "Starry Day" online sale. As a follow-up to our "Starry Night" gala auction that was held last month, this special online-only sale is open to all Stanbridge families, as well as outside friends and guests. A number of gifts have already been purchased, but plenty of goodies (and good deals) still remain, including seats for the fabulous February dinner, student-made artwork, and tickets/passes for the symphony, zoo, theme parks, and more. All proceeds benefit Stanbridge, and many of these items will make great holiday gifts for your student, your family...or just you. All items are available for a one-time only "bid-to-buy" price, and the first to reply via our online forms will claim the prize. Sale ends the night of Monday, December 15th, so don't hesitate as the gifts are sold on a first-come, first-served basis! (Note: Purchased items can be collected this week at school; please contact Business Manager Anne Barrows to arrange your pick-up date and time).
Monday is also the final day to drop-off donations for this year's Family Giving Tree. If you took a gift tag from the tree, please attached it securely to the unwrapped gift when returning it to the tree as the tags ensure that your gift gets to the specific person you are buying for. For more information about the Family Giving Tree please visit their website, where you can also make an online donation.
A quick look back to last week before delving in to the busy week ahead:
Last Monday, actors from the San Francisco Shakespeare Festival came to Stanbridge to perform Shakespeare's comedy As You Like It, a play that is being taught in one of Allison St. John's sophomore English classes. High school students were treated to a one-hour version of the play, and then participated in an acting workshops led by the cast. Mary has posted some photo highlights on our Stanbridge Facebook page, and we'll have many more (plus a video clip) going online later this week.
On Friday, after finally drying out, the weather cleared just in time for our High School Holiday Dance. A big round of Thank Yous to our SPA volunteers who helped turn Hayden Hall into a winter wonderland for the students, as well as our staff chaperones who kept the partygoers a-mix and a-mingling. Check our Facebook and Google+ pages later this week for photos from the big night.
Last Friday also marked the final week of afterschool clubs in 2014. We will start our second iteration of clubs when students return from holiday break, but there will no afterschool clubs this week. The second session of clubs will begin the week of January 5, 2015 and run through mid-March. Most clubs will continue for the second session, but some new options are being offered. Club descriptions for this upcoming session, along with a sign-up form, can be found in our Clubs Brochure, a copy of which has been posted to our Files & Forms page. Copies of the brochure will be distributed to students this week and will also be available in the main office. Enrollment is open now through January 9, and clubs will fill on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that students will need to re-enroll for a club if they wish to continue as a member during this session. Also, if a club does not meet the minimum enrollment by January 9, it will be cancelled and enrollment fees will be refunded.
That brings us to this week, and the final four school days of the calendar year. As I noted, there is a flurry of activity before break begins on Friday, so here is a look at what lies ahead, day-by-day:
Monday, December 15:
- Spelling Bee: Students from all grade divisions will participate in our first-ever Stanbridge Spelling Bee, held in the Multipurpose Spellatorium at 2:00 p.m. Participants have been practicing for the past few weeks, and trophies will be presented to the winning student in each grade division. Good luck to everyone involved, and have f-u-n!
- Donations for Family Giving Tree due by 9:00 a.m.
- Starry Day online sale ends at 7:00 p.m.
- Students in lower el and middle el will be taking a day trip to the San Jose Tech Museum. Please contact your student's homeroom advisor for questions about the excursion.
- Winter Wonderland Holiday Assembly: On Wednesday afternoon, we will hold our annual "Winter Wonderland" assembly. Friends and family members are invited to join the student body in the Multipurpose Room for an afternoon of music, comedy and fun. Jay Huston will present a special holiday sketch, written and performed by students; David Hopper will lead the Stanbridge Choir and Band in a musical presentation; and James & Malia's Theater Club will perform a short play. Ensure your video camera is well-charged--the show starts at 2:00 p.m.
- Lost & Found pickup: Items collected in our Lost & Found bin will be displayed on Wednesday afternoon before and after the holiday concert. Please claim any items that belong to your student.
- Class Holiday Parties: On Thursday afternoon, all grade divisions will hold class parties starting at 2:00 p.m. Contact your divisional SPA representative for details on what each division is planning.
- No school. Stanbridge will be closed for Holiday Break through January 4, 2015. School will re-open on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Before signing-off, a few more notes:
• During these final days of holiday shopping, don't forget that an easy way to support Stanbridge online is to use our AmazonSmile link. When you shop Amazon.com through our AmazonSmile portal, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Stanbridge. Click here to go directly to the Stanbridge AmazonSmile portal, where you can learn more about the program, or simply sign-in and start shopping.
• A big Thank You to all of the families who have donated to our Annual Fund Campaign. So far this school year, two-thirds of Stanbridge families have raised over $140,000! We will be posting a special Thank You list of donors in the holiday edition of the Weekly Bridge next weekend. If you have yet to donate, there's still time to make the cut, so pick up a remit envelope in the main office or click over to our Donate Now page to give your gift online.
• With holiday break coming up, students will have plenty of down time at home. A great activity for many of our junior high and high school artists is to create a design for our 2014-2015 yearbook cover. Camille has listed the requirements for this year's yearbook cover contest, and posted templates on our Files & Forms page. All students in grades 7-12 can submit entries to Camille before the January 20 deadline. Finalists will be determined by a staff and student vote, with the winning entry being used as our yearbook cover. This is a great activity to keep students busy over break, so be sure to have plenty of crayons and markers on-hand at home!
Hard to believe this is it for 2014! Hope you had a great weekend, and look forward to seeing you at some of the events on campus this week.