Hello again and welcome to another edition of the Weekly Bridge. Our first week back to school after break was a busy one, with plenty of news to report. Without further ado, here's the latest:
As you have probably heard by now, this past Tuesday I announced that I would be stepping-down as Stanbridge's head of school at the end of this academic year. My retirement comes after serving the Stanbridge community for ten years, and the connections I have made over that time make this decision extremely difficult. Nonetheless, there is still plenty of work to do and events to look forward to over the next few weeks and months ahead, so there won't be any cleaning-out of the office quite yet.
In the meantime, the Board of Trustees has started the process of searching for a new head of school. The board has retained the services of Skip Kotkins from Carney Sandoe & Associates, a leading national education search firm, to assist with the search process. The board has also created a search committee comprised of current and former trustees, staff members, and current Stanbridge parents. Both the search consultant and committee will be considering feedback and input from Stanbridge parents/guardians and Stanbridge staff members at Q&A forums held on campus this week. We hope you will be able to attend one of the forums with our consultant, Skip. At those forums, he will ask three questions:
- What about Stanbridge Academy must not change?
e.g., The things we do best, the things that make us who we are.
- What about Stanbridge Academy must change?
e.g., Things that we might do better; hopes and dreams for new things in the future.
- What are the skills and attributes of the new Head of School that he/she must have in order to be successful?
- Wednesday, January 14, 3:15-4:15 p.m., Faculty Lounge
- Thursday, January 15, 7:00-8:00 a.m., Faculty Lounge
- Wednesday, January 14, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Hayden Hall
- Thursday, January 15, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Classroom 103 (downstairs to left after entering school)
The board and the search committee are committed to finding a new head of school who will embrace Stanbridge's unique mission and values, and ensure that our community continues to grow and flourish. You input is critical in assisting with this process, so I highly encourage you to participate in these forums. To keep everyone informed of the search process and progress, we will regularly post updates on our website's Search News page (in the About Us section of our website), so be sure to check the page regularly for updates.
Retirement announcement aside, the first week back from school also featured some other notable news. The second session of afterschool clubs began last week and will run through mid-March. A few of the clubs advertised did not meet the minimum enrollment threshold, so we regret to have to cancel the following offerings:
- Tuesdays: Sci-Fi Movie club with Allison St. John
- Wednesdays: Group Games club with Kim Kornmann
- Wednesdays: Movies 101 club with Zac Oldenburg
- Thursdays: Board Games club with Ashley Carter
This past Wednesday, the Stanbridge Parent Association held their monthly SPA meeting, the minutes of which have been posted on the SPA Spot page. Be sure to click over to the SPA Spot for additional news and notes on upcoming events such as the January Bake Sale and afterschool trip to the movies scheduled for later this month. You can also find the link to join the SPA Facebook group, a social media forum designed exclusively for Stanbridge parents and guardians to post and share information. But wait there's more! You can also find the link to reserve seats for next month's SPA Valentine's Dinner. This catered event exclusively for Stanbridge families is filling-up fast, and the sign-up deadline is January 23. Reservations are $100 per person, and all proceeds benefit Stanbridge--it's a great way to enjoy a magnificent meal with some great company, so reserve your seat now!
Our annual yearbook cover design contest is entering the final days for submissions. If your student completed a template, contest entries can be submitted to Camille. The deadline for entries is January 20th, and all Stanbridge junior high and high school students are invited to create a cover design for the 2014-2015 Stanbridge yearbook. Camille has listed the requirements for this year's contest and posted templates on our Files & Forms page--cover design templates will also be available in Camille's room this week. Finalists will be determined by a staff and student vote, with the winning entry being used as our yearbook cover.
Finally, a few reminders about upcoming events:
- On Saturday, January 17, representatives from Stanbridge will be at the Hillsdale Mall Education Expo. This unique event will host representatives from local public and private preschools, elementary schools, and high schools. They will be on-site to answer questions and provide detailed information on curriculum, dates of admission, requirements, open house and more to parents. This event is sponsored by Parenting on the Peninsula, one of the leading parenting magazines of the Bay Area. To learn more visit www.hillsdale.com or call 650-345-8222. Help spread the word to family and friends, and be sure to stop by our kiosk if you're in the neighborhood!
- Monday, January 19 is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Stanbridge will be closed in observance of the holiday.
- The second quarter ends on Friday, January 23rd. Progress reports were sent home prior to the holidays. If your student is in danger of failing a class or would like to improve his/her grade, please have them talk with their teachers about what they can do to better their academic standing before final grades are due.
Clearly we're off and running in the new year. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and see you back on campus this week!