• Back to School Night will be held this Wednesday, September 10 at 6:00 p.m. In addition to meeting with all of your student's teachers, we will be presenting information from our Resource and Counseling departments, SPA and the Annual Fund Committee, plus details on our the school website and QuickSchools. This is an opportunity for Stanbridge parents and guardians to meet with all of their student's teachers and understand the class curriculum, homework and grading policies, and more. It's a great way for everyone to start the school year on the same page, so I hope you are able to attend.
• Also coming up this week are our annual fall assessments for students. Assessments will be given to all students during the morning on Wednesday and Thursday, September 10 & 11. Given in the fall and spring, these assessments allow us to monitor your student's academic progress throughout the year(s). As we have in the past, we will be using the "GRADE" (Group Reading Assessment and Diagnostic Evaluation) and "GMADE" (Group Mathematics Assessment and Diagnostic Evaluation) assessments. Our Program Specialist Diane Chau will talk about these assessments more in-depth on Wednesday night, but we stress that these standardized assessments are not tests and are only used to gauge each student's academic profile in these core subject areas--they do not have any impact on report card grades. Nonetheless, we want students to be prepared and ready, and you can help by ensuring your student gets a good night of rest before assessment days, a healthy breakfast in the morning, and arrives to school on time. A small treat will be provided to your student for doing their best.
• Last week, the September SPA meeting was revised and held as a Fall Gala/Auction planning session. This year's gala will be held on Saturday, November 15th at the San Mateo Marriott, and with just over two months to go, there is a lot that needs to be done. The committee that met last week began coordinating the schedule and identifying key personnel. Many volunteers from all grade divisions are needed--from acquiring donations to assisting with packaging and set-up, there are many ways that you can help. Please click over to the SPA Spot page to access the minutes from the meeting and find out how you can assist. Last year's inaugural auction was a smashing success, raising enough money to purchase a new shuttle van. We are hoping to keep the momentum going and make this year's gala even better, so read all about it and lend a hand if you can!
• Beyond this week, there is plenty to note on the calendar. Next Wednesday, September 17th is picture day. Individual and group class photos will be taken that morning, with retakes scheduled for Tuesday, September 30th. These photos will be used for the yearbook and each student's Stanbridge identification card. You can order additional prints of your student's picture by completing the Photo Order Form posted on our Files & Forms page.
• The Files & Forms page is also where you will find an order form for "Bulldog Wear," the hottest fashions this side of East Poplar Avenue. You can select child or adult sizes for t-shirts, pullover sweatshirts or zip front sweatshirts. Your item will come with the Stanbridge logo on the left breast and the back will have the Bulldog logo. You can pick up an order form in the main office or download one from our Files & Forms page. Checks should be made out to "Stanbridge Academy" and submitted to the main office with your order form by September 17th. Please email Melissa Biderman with any questions.
• And yes, those are the experiential trip packets also posted on the Files & Forms page for all divisions.
The first round of overnight experiential trips will take place the week of September 21. Our high school seniors will spending the full week at Yosemite, while the HS underclassmen will be visiting NatureBridge at Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Shorter overnight stays are planned for students in junior high (Web of Life Field School), and middle & upper el (Westminster Woods). All necessary permission/release forms and packing lists can be found in the online posts; please ensure all forms and any necessary meds are turned in to the main office by Monday, Sept. 15.
• Finally, with school now in session for virtually everyone, the conference and lecture season is also in full swing. Be sure to check our website's Lectures & Workshops page for updates on events that may be of interest to Stanbridge families. Organizations such as Parents Helping Parents, the Parents Education Network (PEN), Common Ground, and more offer free or low-cost conferences and workshops on issues that affect families with LD students. The page is updated regularly through the year, and if you have any events that you think might warrant a posting, email our webmaster Chris Myers.
Looking forward to seeing many of you on Wednesday night. Until then, have a great weekend.