Our thanks to all of the SPA volunteers who helped make last week's Teacher Appreciation Week a delight for our dedicated staff. Each day, we were treated to a delicious spread that included fruit, bagels, salads, lunches, desserts, and more. Students signed Thank You cards for all of the teachers, who were also fêted with Starbucks gift cards and freshly-blended fruit juices (mmmm-mmmm!). Again, our sincere thanks to the parent/guardian organizers who contributed to last week's celebration, and another round of virtual applause for our faculty and staff for all of their hard work throughout the year. You truly make Stanbridge the amazing school that it is and I couldn't do it without you, so thank you for making this farewell year one to treasure!
This is also a special year for our high school seniors, who are just weeks away from graduation. This past Saturday, many of this year's graduates-to-be joined the high school staff at Vault 164 restaurant in San Mateo for the annual Senior Luncheon. More than just lunch, the event offered a chance for each student's parents to say a few words about the difference Stanbridge has made in their lives. It was an emotional, yet positive experience to hear each family's journey, and I'm so proud of this year's graduating class for the growth and progress they have made. The journey isn't over yet, so be sure to treasure these final weeks as Stanbridge students—you'll be alumni soon!
Before graduation, however, there is still plenty to look forward to on the school calendar, including this week's annual "Spirit Week." A highlight of every May, this year's Spirit Week theme days were chosen by the Stanbridge Student Leadership Team, and the schedule is as follows:
- Monday, May 18: Pajama Day - Students can wear their pajamas to school
- Tuesday, May 19: Scary Day - Students can dress in scary costumes*
- Wednesday, May 20: Historical Day - Students can dress as a famous figure from history
- Thursday, May 21: Video Game/Animation Day - Students can dress as their favorite video game/anime character
- Friday, May 22: Beach Day - Students and staff will spend the day at Pompinio Beach in Half Moon Bay.
Speaking of signing-up, the initial enrollment deadline for Summer School is this Monday, May 18. Please note that classes which do not reach the minimum enrollment quota by Monday afternoon risk being dropped from the schedule. Right now, a few classes are in danger of being cancelled, so please return your Summer School enrollment forms to the main office as soon as possible. Copies of the course guide and enrollment paperwork are available in the main office, as well as on our website's Summer School page and the Files & Forms page. There truly is something for everyone during all six weeks of the program, so check out this year's offerings and sign-up your student ASAP!
Before signing off, a few additional notes:
- The annual Stanbridge Volunteer Breakfast is this Wednesday, May 20 at 8:30 a.m. in the Multipurpose Cafétorium. Volunteers from the Annual Fund Campaign and all SPA-sponsored activities are invited to attend and celebrate another school year full of wonderful memories and fantastic achievements (100% family participation in the Annual Fund!) Many events during this school year were supported by or made possible through the work of parents volunteers, so please take a break from your hectic schedule and enjoy some time to reflect back on the school year and see just how much your support and has made an impact on our students lives at Stanbridge. If you can attend, please RSVP via email to Anna Zara by Monday, May 18.
- Mark your calendars for this year's annual Students vs. Staff Hockey game, slated for 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 26. The game will be played on the Stanbridge campus courtyard and this year's contest should be a classic. Both teams are seeking victory after last year's game ended in a 4-4 tie. With the Sharks failing to make this year's NHL playoffs, this month's Students vs. Staff game is the hottest hockey ticket in town!
- While your datebooks are out, make a note that Friday, May 29 will be the premiere, one-show-only performance of our Drama Club's Arsenic and Old Lace. Director David Hopper has been working with the student cast for months on this classic screwball comedy, so come join us for a week-ending theatrical treat—1:00 p.m. in the Multipurpose Theatorium.
- This year's graduation commencement will be the following Friday, June 5, at the Burlingame High School Auditorium. The ceremony starts at 10:00 a.m. and a reception at Stanbridge will follow. All students are expected to attend Friday's commencement, as many awards are presented during the ceremony to students in all divisions. Full details on the June 5th graduation—as well as the year-end events leading-up to the ceremony—will be announced in the weeks ahead.
- President: Bobby E.
- Vice-President: Sean M.
- Secretary: Arlene L.
- Treasurer: Benji L.
Looking forward to a fun-filled Spirit Week ahead. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and see you back at school on Monday!