A new episode of Stanbridge Student News has been posted to our website's Parent Portal—Stanbridge families can access by using their portal password. The play's the thing in this edition of our webcast, as the SSN Team takes us behind the scenes of CalShakes recent visit to campus. See what these actors have to say about what Shakespeare can teach today's students and how performing can be both entertaining and therapeutic for those on stage as well as the members of the audience. Also, the SSN crew goes in-depth on the topic of the Spring Equinox; watch their new FYI segment to learn more about what makes the start of spring such an important occasion. And finally, March Madness has arrived. Not the NCAA tournament—the annual Students vs. Staff Basketball Game! It's the finale to another hardcourt season for our Bulldog hoopsters. See what Coach Kelley and the team have to say about this season and the upcoming big game in our SSN exclusive interview. All that, plus the latest dates and deadlines. From The Bard to the backboards, though this be madness, there is method in it; see for yourself in the latest from Stanbridge Academy's most trusted news source!
For the past few weeks, we have been highlighting various aspects of what to expect at this year's Stanbridge Spring Gala—Saturday, March 9th at Domenico Winery. Still, the phrase "fundraising gala dinner" might have negative connotations for some people, so allow us to highlight a few things that this year's Stanbridge Spring Gala is not:
• There will not be a rubber chicken dinner. Ugh. We've all been there. A perfectly good celebration ruined by a bland slab of flavorless meat or congealed pasta. Nothing worse than spending the dinner hour pushing peas around your plate and counting down the minutes until you can hit the In-N-Out drive thru on the way home. Which is why we're offering a full complement of delicious appetizers and entrees at this year's gala. From seafood and salads, to carved meats, eggplant parmesan, and the mashed potato bar, come hungry and leave happy!
• There will not be an endless silent auction. The Stanbridge gala is a chance to socialize and party with other attendees, not stare at tables of gift baskets and bid sheets all night long. While we will still have some great prizes that you can purchase tickets to win throughout the night—a Hawaiian timeshare; Giants box seats; a Wine Club membership; a LEGO/Maker's Faire package—we don't want guests to anxiously hover over auction items from the time you arrive. We want you to mix, mingle, have fun and dance! And speaking of dancing...
• It will not be amateur hour on the bandstand. We won't be piping-in muzak, clumsily shuffling through someone's iPod playlist, or hosting a ragtag rent-a-band that only covers 80's Billy Joel. For this year's gala—by popular demand—we're bringing back jazz vocalist Jesse Foster and his personally-selected group of ensemble musicians who have decades of combined experience playing with Grammy-winning headliners all over the world. They'll be bringing da noise and da funk, as well as da jazz, soul, pop, R&B, and groove, so bring your best moves and boogie shoes—the dance floor will be open all night.
• There will not be a long-winded boring speaker. Between band sets, our resident high school science teacher/improv comic Jay Huston will be the evening's emcee to keep things flowing and the energy up. For our post-dinner program centerpiece, we're excited to have counselor James Warren once again performing an original song, and we are especially thrilled to announce that this year's gala will feature the world premiere of our new Stanbridge video, shot on campus earlier this fall. While the fundraising portion of the evening is a critical means to support all of our Stanbridge students, the last thing we want is for someone to drone on endlessly as you slip into a food coma, so we'll keep things fun, lively, and brief so you can raise your paddles and then get back to raising the roof.
• The gala is not a SPA meeting. It's a party! Domenico's newly-renovated tasting room is even more spacious than last year (construction is done!), and we'll be hosting an open bar all night with their award-winning wines, a selection of beers, and top-shelf mixed drinks, too (not to mention soft drinks, coffee, and tea). Along with the food, drinks, and music, the evening will feature current and alumni Stanbridge parents, staff, trustees, outside donors and friends. We've designed the gala to be a fun, adults night out to socialize with the extended Stanbridge community, but also a perfect opportunity to invite your friends and neighbors to a one-of-a-kind event that celebrates the school that means so much to us.
• It's not a party without you! Now that you have a better sense of what the gala is and what the gala is not, we hope you'll see for yourself and join us at the party on Saturday March 9th. Our RSVP deadline is this Friday, February 15, so time is running out to secure your seats. You can purchase tickets or make a donation online using your credit/debit card, or pay by cash or check in the main office. If you plan to attend but can't pay until later, simply complete the RSVP form on our gala webpage or complete the form in the office by Friday (payment in-full is due by March 9). If you have any gala questions, please don't hesitate to contact our Director of Advancement, Chris Myers, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has already purchased their ticket/tickets or made a pre-event donation. This is shaping-up to be our biggest gala ever—hope to see you there!
If you enjoyed the food and drinks at last year's gala, you're in for an even bigger and better treat this year. Our 2019 Spring Gala will feature a full dinner buffet that includes beef tenderloin, turkey, and eggplant involtini, plus a selection of fresh salads, an assortment of savory appetizers, delectable desserts, and—back by popular demand—the famous mashed potato bar. This year, we are also offering a fully-stocked open bar that will feature fine wines from our host winery, Domenico, as well as a variety of beers and potent potables (along with plenty of soft drinks, coffee, and tea). The event promises to be a night of hearty fare that pairs well with our live jazz band, and the even livelier mix of current and alumni parents, Stanbridge staff, trustees, and friends of the Stanbridge community. So come out to support our Bulldogs at our biggest and best fundraising gala yet--Saturday night, March 9th from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. at Domenico Winery in San Carlos. Tickets are available in the main office, or purchase tickets online by clicking here. RSVP deadline is February 15—get your tickets today!
We are excited to once again have Jesse Foster headlining a band of Bay Area jazz all-stars at our March 9th Stanbridge Spring Gala. This year's ensemble brings back vocalist Jesse Foster, Cedricke Dennis on guitar, and Mark Lee on drums—all of whom played together at the 2018 Stanbridge Spring Gala. This year, they will be joined by Greg Sankovich on keys, and Paul Eastburn on bass. Individually, these musicians have performed with Sly Stone, Bobby McFerrin, The Manhattan Transfer, Sting, Mary Wilson, Tiffany Austin, Keb Mo, The Pointer Sisters, The UC Jazz Ensemble, and more. Together, their decades of experience span generations of jazz, funk, fusion, rock, Motown, R&B, and pop. This is an amazing opportunity to see these musicians live as they keep the groove going all night long on Saturday, March 9th--click here to get your tickets, and be sure to bring your dancing shoes!
Bonus Links (click to access):
A new episode of Stanbridge Student News has been posted to our website's Parent Portal—Stanbridge families can access by using their portal password. The latest episode features an in-depth recap of our high school division's recent Alumni Panel held last week, highlighting the behind-the-scenes prep work done by our Bridges class students, and an exclusive interview with our Director of College Counseling and Transitions, Colleen McQuade. Plus, footage from the December holiday concert; an interview with new Office Coordinator Kristen Coleman; important upcoming dates and reminders; and a special astrological FYI report on this weekend's lunar eclipse. Our Stanbridge stars are covering all the news under the sun and then some in the latest webisode from Stanbridge Academy's most trusted news source!
Attention high school students and parents: Did the College & Career Fair in November get you thinking about next steps after graduation? Are you wondering how to make the transition from Stanbridge to college or into the workforce? Curious about university life, what college classes are like, or how it feels to live away from home and on your own? Then join us on Thursday, January 10 for the annual Stanbridge Alumni Panel, where you'll hear stories from Stanbridge graduates who have successfully made their postsecondary transitions. The panel features Stanbridge alumni who are currently in college, recent college graduates, and those who are working in various career fields. Come listen to their experiences, get advice, and have your questions answered by former Stanbridge students who have been in your shoes. The event is free and will be held from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. on campus in the Marilyn Center. RSVP by contacting the main office, or click here to email Colleen McQuade, our Director of College Counseling & Transitions.